I attempted to make Liam a kilt today. I hauled out the fabric, which my sister had gotten for me at a yard sale some years ago. It's Royal Stewart, which anyone can wear, regardless of your family or clan. I was nervous to try it, because I haven't ever made a Kilt before, but I figured I could try, at least!
I hand sewed the hem, which took about an hour. I made a 3 inch hem, with 3 inches tucked up under, so as he grows taller it can be let down, at least 6 inches, which I highly doubt he would ever need. I also doubled the under apron for extra pleats as he grows. (There's Wally "helping" again) this is when I had a few pleats hand sewn in:
I made 18 1 inch pleats, which I am VERY happy with, but even though I narrowed the waist as I sewed, it still is too loose on him, and I am not quite happy with how it fits him, so I will play with it some more, but for all intents and purposes, it is finished. It took about 3 1/2 or 4 hours, start to finish, hand sewed, no pattern. The waist slides down on him, as you can see, even though I added an extra 1/2 pleat, so maybe a touch of elastic in the waistband will help. (hidden well, of course)
I am quite happy with the pleats, though. They are flat and even and hang nicely.